Michael is an O’Neill native, with both sides of his family having deep roots in Holt County. He graduated from Ainsworth High School in 2009. He then attended the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, graduating in 2013 with a Bachelor of Journalism. After college, Michael attended law school at the University of Nebraska College of Law in Lincoln, graduating in 2016.
After law school, Michael practiced with Cline Williams Wright Johnson & Oldfather in Omaha for four years. His practice at Cline Williams focused on civil litigation, with an emphasis on defense of personal injury and professional malpractice cases. In August of 2020, Michael and his family moved back to Holt County. He began working with Strope & Gotschall in O’Neill, where his practice diversified to involve a broad range of transactional and litigation matters, including real estate transactions, business planning, estate planning and probate, divorce and custody proceedings, municipal law, and a broad range of civil litigation matters. In March of 2022, Michael and Jim Gotschall opened Gotschall & Sholes PC, LLO.
Michael and his wife Samantha, a family medicine physician at West Holt Medical Services, reside in Atkinson with their two children.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, B.J. with Highest Distinction, 2013
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D. with High Distinction, 2016
Involvement & Recognition
- Atkinson Fire & Rescue Department, 2022-Present
- St. Joseph Catholic Church, Atkinson, 2021-Present
- Nebraska Lawyer’s Advisory Committee, 2021-Present
- Omaha Bar Association Young Lawyer’s Division Board, 2018-19
- Order of the Coif, 2016
- Nebraska Law Review, 2014-16
- Black Masque Chapter of Mortar Board, 2012-13