Following World War I, Jim’s grandfather and great uncle farmed and ranched in Knox County, Nebraska, then, in 1936 bought a ranch 20 miles southwest of Atkinson, Nebraska. The ranch was later operated by his father and uncle and is currently operated by his brother and cousins. Jim is a graduate of West Holt High School in 1982 and of the University of Nebraska, College of Agriculture with an emphasis in beef production in 1986, and a graduate of the University of Nebraska College of Law in 1989. He practiced at the litigation firm of Gaines, Mullen in Omaha, Nebraska until 1994 when he moved back to Holt County. He practices agricultural law, with an emphasis in real estate, estate planning, probate and trust administration from $10,000 transfers to $10,000,000 estates. He has handled insurance litigation with successful results from $30,000 to over $1,000,000. He has tried numerous bench and jury trials from Omaha to Ogalala and many places in between. In 1987, he married Leann Gotschall, a registered ultrasonographer at Avera St. Anthony’s Hospital in O’Neill, and they have four children who all graduated from O’Neill Public High School.
His goal is to provide clients with the most progressive legal advice possible. This means delivering advice in a practical, common-sense package to allow clients to make informed decisions about their businesses, estate plans, or court cases. This means putting his clients first by taking phone calls, meeting walk-ins, and visiting elderly at home if necessary.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, College of Agriculture – Animal Science/Ag Business, 1986
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., 1989
- Gaines, Mullen, Pansing, Hogan & Cotton in Omaha, NE, 1989-1994
- Nebraska Bar Disciplinary Review Board – Chairman, 2014-2020
- Nebraska Bar Committee on Inquiry, 2022-present
- Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- O’Neill Public School Board – 2002-2018